Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Map from the Past

The past few months I've been working on an illustrated map for an amusement park in Lumberton, Texas called Adventure Kingdom. As part of my pitch to show the owner what I was envisioning, I referenced the old maps that everyone got when they went to Astroworld.  I had one hanging on my wall when I was a kid, so I could see it well in my head.  That made it necessary to find an old Astroworld map so I could show him.

Thankfully, everything is online now and there's Google image search.  It turns out it wasn't too hard to find what I was looking for.

What surprised me was that there were so many maps- one for just about every operating season that the park was open, starting back in the '60s.  I was fascinated to look at the maps in order and watch the park (and illustration style) change before my eyes.  After Six Flags was purchased by Warner Brothers (in the early '90s, I think), the maps (and the park) started getting less and less awesome, so I didn't download any of those.

But I thought I'd share the maps that I did download.  The 1981 season map is the one I had hanging on my wall, so naturally it's one of my favorites.  Here are some more of my favorites:

1969 
1974

1977

1980

No comments: