Sunday, October 7, 2012

Mascot Style

I know I'm late to the Gangnam Style party, but I finally broke down this morning and watched the Gangnam Style video by Psy, a South Korean rapper.

I'm not sure what to say, other than that it's a really catchy song.  But what I love even more is the video.  Without the video, the song is just another mediocre song.  But the video...

It's vibrant.  It's creative.  It's funny.  And there's just something about this little guy in sunglasses dancing around all crazy that's kinda... endearing.

But what I like the most is that the dance that he's doing is how I've been dancing for fifteen years.  I call it mascot dancing, and I simply can't dance any other way anymore (with the exception of County Western dancing...). It's not the same exact dance, but rather the style of dancing. Called it "controlled flailing" if you like, but it's how a mascot dances.  Look forward to lots and lots of parodies of this song this year at nationals competition and next year at summer camps and pep rallies everywhere.

No comments: