Thursday, September 24, 2009

Buddy Holly and the Walk of Fame

I walked out of my hotel room in Lubbock to see a statue of Buddy Holly, Lubbock's most famous son, staring at me. So I walked over to the Buddy Holly walk of fame.

There are plaques all the way around the statue with other famous Texans, including Mac Davis, Waylon Jennings and ... G. W. Bailey? I bet they wish they had that one back.

But somewhere around 1997 they apparently had an "oh shit!" moment. It seems that whoever mounted the plaques every year had been mounting them lower and lower. So instead of fixing them, they just started back the original height, I guess hoping no one would notice.

And then apparently they ran out of famous people in 2006 and started making up names.

Jennifer Smith???? Was John Doe not available?

And then the Walk of Fame ends abruptly after 2006. Apparently they ran out of famous Texans. It's just a shame that Willie Nelson never got famous enough to make it in...

No comments: