Friday, September 10, 2010

September 10th

Here it is again, on the eve of September 11th, one of the most solemn and memorable days in our nation's history. Tomorrow I'll fly my flag and wear red, white and blue as HR requested. And many people will remember where they were and what they were doing on that fateful day eight years ago.

But do you remember September 10th? Do you remember what you were doing or what your life felt like the day before the world changed forever?

I have the good fortune of having a very clear recollection of that day. For me, it was a great day. I was working freelance, which meant that I had the liberty to work just about anyplace I wanted. On that particular day, I chose to work outside at the park at the San Jacinto battleground. I took my laptop outside to work on a project and to enjoy the incredible weather we were having in Houston. A cool front had rolled through and it was sunny, low humidity and highs in the upper 70s. It was perfect - the kind of day you'd remember forever if the following day the entire country wasn't plunged into panic-stricken terror.

I remember putting my laptop down and taking off my shoes and feeling the soft grass under my feet as I walked around, just appreciating the day. I was taking drum lessons back then, and I remember playing on my practice pad with my first pair of drum sticks while I waited in line at the Lynchburg ferry.

I went home and Kristi and I took a walk down Heights Blvd. on the jogging trail.

The day had such a perfect, wholesome feeling - as if nothing could go wrong. It was such an optimistic feeling. Looking back years later, it seems so primitive and wonderful and special. It was before you suddenly couldn't do so many things.

It's the kind of day I wish for my children. No cares. No worries. No fear. No restrictions. Just a day in the sun. A day to work and to play and to be happy and free. I think its the freedom I miss the most.

(originally posted September 10, 2009)

No comments: