Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Way Reminders SHOULD Work

Dear Apple,

Your Reminders app in iOS5 is a great idea.  I love the location-aware nature of it.  But it's awfully hard to use, and that's not very Apple-ish.  I know, I know.... you're probably tired of people giving you grief about the Reminders app.  But I really do like it.  And I have a suggestion.

I should be able to set up a reminder directly from the maps app.  For instance,  this morning I'm going fishing at Seawolf Park in Galveston.  I searched for it on my Maps app and found it.  I should be able to add reminder for this location directly from the screen where I have the option to save as a contact, share my location and save as a bookmark.  There should be another button directly below those that reads "Set a Reminder for this Location."

The way it works currently, I'd have to add the location to my contacts first in order to set a reminder.  I don't want to do that.  There are lots of places I go all the time - the mall, the grocery store, a restaurant - that I might want to set a reminder for but don't want cluttering up my contacts list.  And since the Reminders app is a built-in app (and can't be deleted), there shouldn't be any reason why it can't have system-wide presence like Maps and does.  Heck, even some non-built-in apps have that kind of access ("Open in iBooks, for instance.)

So there it is.  It's a pretty simple request.  I'm sure you thought of it and just forgot to flip the switch on the code or something when iOS5 shipped.  So get on that, please?  It'll make Reminders a WHOLE lot more convenient to use.

Thanks!

No comments: