Friday, February 13, 2009

Housekeeping!

Last Saturday morning I got up really early to go down to Houston to be with Kristi and the kids for the weekend.  They were sharing a hotel room with Kristi's mom while her dad is in the hospital.  I left really early to try to be there around the time they got up to surprise them.

Just about he time I got there, I got a text from Kristi saying "good morning."  I pulled into the hotel parking lot, went inside and sat in the lobby and called her back, pretending to have just woken up.  I said "I wish I could just be there."  I told her I'd see her soon and we hung up.  Then I went down the hall and knocked on the door, very happy with myself for my clever choice of words and for my surprise.

"Who is it?"

"Housekeeping!" I said in a high pitched voice like the one that houskeeping ladies use when they knock on your door.

"Can you come back later?"

"No, open door please."

"Excuse me?"

"Open door please."

"Look, you'll have to come back later."

 "Just open door please!"

Then silence.  Inside, I heard Kristi saying in a hushed tone, "yes, there's someone at my door and they won't go away.  Can you send someone down here...."

That's when I broke with the housekeeping voice and said, "Girl-- it's me!"

"Oh.  Nevermind, sir.  It's my husband.  Thank you."

Kristi opened the door and said "you scared me!  There was a guy arrested yesterday for banging on people's doors!"

How was I supposed to know such a random thing like that?  

But the moral of the story is: if you plan on surprising your wife first thing Saturday morning, expect to have the cops called on you.

No comments: