Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hulu fears ABC iPad app could hurt its $9.95 subscription plans

From AppleInsider:

Online streaming service Hulu is expected to introduce a $9.95-per-month subscription plan on May 24, but the company reportedly fears a free streaming application from ABC for the iPad could undermine its efforts.
No shit, Sherlock.

So let me get this straight... I can watch Hulu on my laptop or desktop computer for free, but Hulu wants me to pay $10 a month for the privilege of watching their shows with ads on my iPad? And furthermore, Hulu made Boxee remove its service from the Apple TV because it said that Hulu was only intended for computing devices. Isn't that what the iPad is?

"But the iPad doesn't have Flash and so all the code had to be re-written and Hulu has to recoup that expense somehow!"

Horse hockey. Hulu has yet to turn a profit, and they were going to need to port their stuff to HTML5 soon anyway as Flash becomes more and more unpopular. Besides, ABC's site is in Flash, and they're offering their stuff for free via their iPad app. However, if the Hulu app offered ad-free shows, I'd consider it. I probably would't pay $10 a month, but I'd consider it, at least.

What drives me nuts is that companies are so eager to "grow their revenue streams" and protect their profits (as if they are entitled to make a certain amount of profit a year) that they completely disregard what their customers want, and then usually cry and point fingers at the same customers for complaining when they won't pay another $10 a month for something they're already likely paying for for in cable or satellite subscriptions and for which the networks are already getting profits from in the form of advertising.

I love the ABC iPad app, and I'm glad it's free. Kristi and I love watching the ABC app while we lay in bed at night. And the fact that it's not a battery drainer like Hulu on the laptop is is a nice plus.

Free is how TV ought to be, subsidized by advertising. Hulu is stupid for not wanting as many people as possible to watch its shows on any device. Those extra views are gold to advertisers.

No comments: