Saturday, May 22, 2010

How Much is Not Using It Worth?

This morning, I was browsing through my applications folder and noticed my copy of Tech Tool Pro. Tech Tool is a utility that you use when something goes wrong with your computer and it needs to be fixed - volume structure corruption, data loss, etc. The point is that the only time I ever use it is when I absolutely need to to get my computer running properly again.

I paid around a hundred dollars for the utility several years ago and have paid a hundred or so more for updates a couple of times since then. That's a lot of money to spend on something I never use, right?

But how much is it worth to know that when something does go wrong that I have the tools to do it? I don't have to scramble around trying to figure out what I need and then spend time and money then trying to put things in order for me to do the job. It's the reason I keep all sorts of tools in my shed. I don't need them often, but when I do, I usually need them right then.

It's the same at work. I don't get to lead a team often, but I know I can and I have the tools to do it. In fact, there are a lot of things that I don't do a lot at work, but I'm prepared to when I need to. This week I did a hard-sell automotive statement stuffer - the kind I would have done routinely about ten years ago you know the kind: bright colors, bursts, annoying and bold typefaces, in-your-face graphics). Luckily, I haven't had to do one of those (or anything like it) in several years. But this week I did. And I was prepared.

One thing I've learned in life is that everything happens for a reason. We may not know it at the time, but it builds our character or our skill set n such a way that, even if you fail the first time, you're more prepared the next time.

I'm not saying I did seven years of hard-sell just so I would know how to do this one project. I think if anything, this one project came along to remind me that I did seven years of hard-sell and have been fortunate enough since then to do some much more fun, elegant stuff. But I had the tools. And that means a lot.

No comments: