Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Stupid, Stupid Arnold

From the San Jose Mercury News:

Haunted by gulf oil spill, Schwarzenegger drops plan to fund parks with new drilling

The catastrophic oil slick spreading through the Gulf of Mexico has claimed another victim: Cash for California's strapped parks system.

Painting a grim picture of the spill's devastation, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday backed away from a contentious drilling proposal off the coast of Southern California that officials hoped would raise $1.8 billion for state parks over the next 14 years.

Still, scenes of idled fishermen and oil-sickened water birds in the Gulf convinced the governor more drilling is not the answer.

"It will not happen here in California," Schwarzenegger said at a news conference. "If I have a choice between the $100 million and what I see in the Gulf of Mexico, I'd rather just figure out how to make up for that $100 million."


I've been waiting for this kind of a knee-jerk reaction to the oil spill in the Gulf. I should've known that it would have come from California and from it's RINO governor.

Think about this. There are literally hundreds of offshore platforms in the Gulf. I've lived near the Gulf Coast all my life and this is the only such incident I can ever recall of an offshore rig not only sinking, but dumping oil into the Gulf. The way people are reacting, you'd think that this kind of thing happens all the time. But it doesn't.

What I find really interesting is that a few days ago Obama made a big show out of saying that he was sending SWAT teams out to other Gulf oil rigs. Now why would one do that? The only reason I can think of is if there were some sort of an armed standoff or to look for a bomb. Could it be that the rig in the gulf was sunk by a bomb - either of domestic or foreign origin? It's interesting that after that statement we haven't heard another thing about SWAT teams and it seems the media simply isn't asking.

As for California, I'm sure they'll be able to find $100 million elsewhere, right? It's not like they're broke and handing out IOUs for tax refunds or anything...

No comments: