Monday, October 25, 2010

The Walkman is Dead, Kinda...

From ABC News:

Sony stopped Japanese production of the portable music player in April and sales will end once the last batch disappears from stores, company spokeswoman Hiroko Nakamura said Monday.

Sony has sold 220 million cassette Walkman players globally since the product's July 1979 debut that changed lifestyles by popularizing music on the go.

Demand for cassette players in Japan is now largely limited to elderly users.


Yeah. Screw the elderly.

But Sony will continue production of the cassette Walkman in China to accommodate users abroad, including in the U.S., Europe and some Asian countries, Nakamura said.


I honestly thought that the Walkman had already been discontinued. It's been years since I've used a tape player. Heck, it's been years since I've even seen a tape player. I remember in the early '00s using a tape player to listen to music while I worked out. There was no such thing as an iPod yet, the mp3 players at the time held a ridiculously small amount of songs and I didn't want to deal with all the skipping (and bulk) of CD player. Even then, I got a lot of strange looks. I might as well have been lugging around a boom box on my shoulder.

I wonder what one costs these days.

No comments: