Thursday, November 4, 2010

November Rain

A couple of days ago, I started our morning music playlist at the house with "November Rain" by Guns 'n Roses, and I got to thinking about it.

I would say that November Rain is quite possibly the last great rock song. I say that because it was released in 1991, and shortly afterward, the music world seemed to split into segmented shards of genres. Straight-up "Rock" broke into Grunge, Alternative and Light Rock. All of a sudden, it seemed like the Rock genre underwent some kind of weird mitosis and just split into all these different things that weren't quite pure rock, but were interrelated. There's been some amazingly good music since then, but none that I would really classify as "rock" in the '70s and '80s sense of the word. Some have close. Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Velvet Revolver, Creed and Bob Segar come to mind. But even then, there was something - maybe a bombasticness - missing.

So I think that November Rain may have been the last true Rock song and that "Use Your Illusion" (I &II) were the last true rock album.

Discuss.

No comments: