Tuesday, December 21, 2010

17 Years And Counting


From the Houston Chronicle:

In 1993, Bill Clinton was in his first year as president. Gasoline cost $1.16 a gallon. Unforgiven won the Oscar for Best Picture. A stamp cost 29 cents. The final episode of Cheers was viewed by 80.4 million people. Michael Jackson performed at halftime of Dallas’ 52-17 victory over Buffalo in Super Bowl XXVII.

And 1993 was the last time a pro football team from Houston made the playoffs.

Before the largest crowd in Astrodome history, the Oilers lost to Kansas City 28-20 in the divisional round.

Seventeen years later, Houston still doesn’t have a playoff team.


I remember that Kansas City game well. My Christmas gift to my dad that year was tickets to that playoff game. I was still in high school, and it seems like a lifetime ago. Actually, it was almost half my lifetime. My brother, who is a senior in high school, was born that year - and no Houston team has even made it to the playoffs in his entire lifetime?

Shameful.

No comments: