Friday, December 10, 2010

Train Wreck Coming

From /film (reporting a review of an early screening of Cars 2):

"There’s no focus on McQueen, despite it being his race that gets Mater into the film’s plot, and everyone else including Sally are relegated to making cameo appearances. The bigger plot and bigger locations keep the cast out of Radiator Springs for 95% of the movie and there’s no nostalgia or charm in the cold world of Europe. Cars 2 plays like an animated Austin Powers or any other sequel that gets a bigger budget and thinks everything should be “more!” Cars 2 is good, but it never feels PIXAR good. At times the movie plays like a sequel made to capitalize on the merchandise sales and goodwill of the original. The side characters are highly entertaining but this should be retitled “Mater” as there’s no connection to the original characters.”


I hate to hear this. I truly love Cars, and I would love nothing more than to see a genuinely heartwarming followup to the original, as they did with the Toy Story movies. But when I saw the trailer, I started to get worried. Looks like my fears my be coming true. Sometimes I hate it when I'm right.

No comments: