Monday, March 14, 2011

Destructo Fail

So, I've been informed (by Kristi, immediately) and then by my buddy, Matt, that the Brenham cubs are't bears after all, but lion cubs. And Matt is from home, so I guess he should know.

Buh-huh? I've lived here for six years and all this time I thought they were supposed to be bear cubs. Most of that impression is based on this drawing, which - to me (a mascot and illustrator) - looks more like a bear than a lion.

I'll save my full-on rant for another day, but I've got to ask the question - "why, then, isn't the high school the lions and the junior highs and elementary schools the cubs?" (For those of you who don't live in Brenham, an explanation is in order. You see, every single public school mascot in town is the "cubs." Every. Single. School.)

I guess I always thought that they were supposed to be the Brenham Bear Cubs, which kinda makes sense due to the alliteration. But the Brenham Lion Cubs? I just don't get it.

But I guess I might still be wrong. It's only happened twice before, so I forget what it feels like.

No comments: