Thursday, October 13, 2011

I Made a Man Cry

The new issue of Texas Highways magazine arrived yesterday, and I was surprised to open the cover and see  - on page one - a shot of the Bastrop State Park Wildfire that I shot back at the beginning of September.

But what surprised me even more was the first sentence of the editor's column that accompanied the image:
"It's extremely rare that photographs bring tears to my eyes.  But as I scrolled through James Pharaon's images from the fire-devastated Bastrop State Park, my immediate and unscripted response caused the images to go out of focus."
That's right.  I made a man cry using only my camera.  And not by hitting him with it, either.

I joke, but this is a very proud day in my life.  It's the first time I've ever had any of my photographs used in a magazine.  I haven't gotten any phone calls from Laurence Parent yet asking to be my understudy, but  I'll try to keep the line open, just in case.

No comments: