Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Problems with the New iPod Shuffle


Apple today introduced a new iPod Shulffle that is smaller than the current model and is controlled via buttons on the headphone cord.

The new shuffle is great as long as you listen to it using the Apple-provided headphones. Great form factor, but two glaring problems with it:

1. Many times I carry my shuffle with me to plug in to the sound system at events when I just want to play random background music. With the new shuffle, I can't do that.

2. I don't like using Apple's headphones when I work out. They come out of my ears too easily, so I use an over-the-ear headphone from Sony that wraps around my ear. With the new shuffle's on-headphone controls, I now have no way to control my music.

Not very Apple to miss these details...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The size (both physical and GB) of the product is great. For a shuffle that can flick through playlists, I was willing to look past the issues you have mentioned here. Two days into owning it, the headset buttons failed on me! Sadly, they are too flimsy for "heavy" fingered users. Very sad, for the first two days it was a lot of fun.