Sunday, July 5, 2009

Steve McNair found dead


I hate to see this. Steve McNair seemed like one of those old school athletes who was a professional and played with a lot of heart every outing. Even though he's a Titan (the former Oilers), I found myself cheering for him when I could.

My sophomore year in college, McNair was up for the Heisman trophy when Alcorn State played Sam Houston State. It was a big deal because the game was televised, and back then Sam Houston NEVER got to be on TV. My buddies and I painted ourselves up, shirtless, and called ourselves the "barekats" for the game.

McNair came in and played an incredible game. The Bearkats ended up winning the game, but it was really special getting to watch someone play whom you could tell had a gift. It was obvious that he was going to go on to play in the NFL, and he ended up having a pretty good career in Tennessee and later Baltimore.

Thanks for the memories, Steve.

No comments: