Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I Take It Back. I Hate You, Apple.


Apple today introduced a new, larger, redesigned iMac, a redesigned MacBook, a new Magic Mouse, a new hardware remote, a new Time Capsule, a new Airport Extreme and a new Mac Mini.

Am I chapped that I just bought an iMac last month and that a new iMac with 3-inch larger screen, quad-core processors (instead of duo-core) and more storage and RAM would cost roughly the same amount that I paid? Am I miffed that the 24-inch model I bought isn't even an option any more and that a new duo-core iMac with the same specs, except a larger screen, is actually cheaper than what I bought?

Am I hacked off that I bought said iMac because the Mac Mini I have been using for the past three years just wouldn't cut the mustard on the video projects I've been doing lately and that a new, faster Mac Mini might have done the job without me having to completely reconfigure my drive and device setup?

Am I? huh? Thanks for asking.

Actually, no. I'm thrilled with my iMac. The 24-inch screen is a lot larger than I expected it to be on my desk. It's almost too big, in fact. I don't think the new, larger model would fit. That, and I knew that Apple would probably refresh its hardware lineup in October. They always do in preparation for the holiday season. No - I wanted the model I got. Moore's Law being what it is, I knew that new hardware couldn't be too far around the corner. You can't wait on the latest. you'd never buy anything!

That, and I'm done with first-version hardware for awhile. If I've learned anything from buying Apple hardware, it's that the first version is usually somewhat crippled, only to be updated with new technology or better feature within a few months. It was that way with my Blue & White G3 in 1999. It was that way with my Titanium Powerbook in 2001. It was true of the first iPhone in 2007. It was true of the MacBook Air. And I suspect it will be true of these new machines. My money is on Blu-Ray drives in January as the update, but there will probably be more.

No, I'm mucho happy with my new iMac.

The only thing from today's announcement that I'm really lusting over is the new Magic Mouse. Now that looks sweet.

I take it back again, Apple. Ignore the title of this post. I love you again. Hugs and kisses from Destructo.

No comments: