Monday, December 28, 2009

Rules Journalists Should Live By

I have my degree in journalism and am constantly frustrated by the shoddy journalistic practices I see in newspapers (on the web) and on television. These rules written by Jim Lehrer, if followed by journalists, would restore integrity to the profession.

• Do nothing I cannot defend.
• Cover, write and present every story with the care I would want if the story were about me.
• Assume there is at least one other side or version to every story.
• Assume the viewer is as smart and as caring and as good a person as I am.
• Assume the same about all people on whom I report.
• Assume personal lives are a private matter, until a legitimate turn in the story absolutely mandates otherwise.
• Carefully separate opinion and analysis from straight news stories, and clearly label everything.
• Do not use anonymous sources or blind quotes, except on rare and monumental occasions.
• No one should ever be allowed to attack another anonymously.
• And, finally, I am not in the entertainment business."

No comments: