Friday, April 8, 2011

The Story of My 18th Birthday

Last night I posted on Facebook that I couldn't remember my 18th birthday.

This morning I woke up and remembered. I spent most of the day in bed with the worst case of food poisoning I have ever had. It turns out I hadn't forgotten it - I had blocked it out.

I was in New Orleans on a DeMolay trip. The day before we had gone to a neighborhood cafe and I had ordered a chicken salad sandwich. Well, later that day I started feeling completely horrible. I went to bed early and stayed there most of my birthday. We were competing that day and somehow they managed to get me up and dressed so I could compete in the Initiatory and DeMolay degrees, and then I went back to bed.

At dinner time, I still wasn't feeling well, so I asked one of the guys to get me a banana at the convenience store next door to our hotel. I managed to get the banana down, hoping that just having something in my stomach would make me feel better. The guys didn't want to leave me at the hotel by myself, so I reluctantly agreed to go out to dinner with the group to Hooters. I *think* it was Hooters. Actually, I'm pretty sure it was. At that point in my life - and when I went out with the guys - there was rarely a time when we didn't eat at Hooters if one was available.

I ordered a Philly cheesesteak sandwich and waited. As I waited, I started feeling violently ill. The suddenly, panic. I jumped up and ran to the restroom, flung open the door and almost made it to the toilet before I started vomiting banana everywhere. I looked around at the mess I had just made, but didn't really care. After more then 24 hours, I felt suddenly as if I were Superman retreating from Kryptonite - my powers suddenly rushed back into my body and I felt strong again. I washed my face and headed out of the restroom just as a man cam in. I motioned to the toilet stall and said "don't go in there."

By the time I got back to the table, my appetite had returned - a powerful appetite. My sandwich was waiting for me and I dug in. I don't remember much after that, but that was probably for other reasons. We were in New Orleans, after all. ;)

No comments: