Saturday, February 26, 2011

Movie Marathon

I'm doing something today that I've never done before - I'm going to a movie marathon. Luckily, it's not the kind where you run 26.2 miles while you watch a movie. It's ten movies - the ten films that are nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards - in 24 hours, and I'm actually really excited about going. I've never done anything like this before, so I'm really curious what it's going to be like.

I'm going with my buddy, Steve, who is a huge movie buff and aspiring screenwriter. He's got it all charted out from what time the movies start and finish to what time the breaks are and how long they are.

The first film that starts off the marathon this morning is Toy Story 3. I'm going to skip that one because I've seen it - literally - 20 times already (I have a 2-year-old). And the movies go throughout the day ad night tonight , winding up with The King' Speech tomorrow morning. I'm not much of a night owl, so I'm curious if I'll fall asleep at 8:30 right in the middle of The Fighter. And I'm kinda bummed that Inception isn't playing until 2am.

My strategy is that I'm going to take a couple of naps through a couple of the films I've already seen - The Social Network and True Grit. The only problem is that I really want to see them again. And I can't find any other films that I'd really want to miss. Most every other year there are some art films or films that are there jut because George Clooney is in them that I wouldn't mind sleeping through. But it turns out that I want to see all the films that are nominated this year. Why couldn't they have put Toy Story 3 at 9:45 tonight instead of Winter's Bone?

Anyway, that's what I've got in store today. Happy Saturday (and part of Sunday)!

No comments: