Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Storm is Homeless

From AolNews.com:

For every homeless person like Ted Williams, who rises to sudden celebrity, there is a Debbie Clark, who has experienced the heights of fame only to lose everything except her dignity.

From 1991 to 1993, Clark, using the name "Storm," was one of the stars of the hit syndicated series "American Gladiators."

The show ended its run in 1993, and Clark, now 45, doesn't receive royalties from her days as a Gladiator. All she has are photos, friendships, memories and a shattered knee.

"In '91, when we were on tour, I blew my ACL [anterior cruciate ligament] out, when we were in Hartford, Connecticut," she told AOL News.

"I went to body slam a contender, and when I had her up in the air, I deflected another contender into my left leg, so it was not only my weight and the velocity of the hit but the contender, and I totally snapped my ACL."

Now, two decades later, Clark is at her lowest ebb, having been homeless for 2 1/2 years in San Diego.

Like many women on the street, her homelessness came out of a desire to escape a bad living situation.

"I came out [to San Diego] from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, due to a domestic violence situation," she said.


Dude musta been one BadMuthaShutYoMouth if he made a habit of beating up freaking Storm. Interesting, though, that she has a degree in Psychology. I wonder what happened.

No comments: