Thursday, November 12, 2009

Star Wars for Daddy

Around the beginning of October, I realized that Kayci, now six, had never seen Star Wars. She's heard me make references to it. She's seen me wear my Star Wars T-shirt. Heck, she even owns two light sabers. But she had never actually seen it.

So we all sat down on the couch one Saturday morning to watch it.

She seemed interested and asked several questions throughout the movie:

"What's THAT, Daddy?"

"That's a giant snake skeleton."

"Is it real?"

"No. It's pretend."

"Oh. Okay."

We had fun watching it, and I felt better because I had shared something with her that she should know about - one of the best movies of all time. And that was about it. We didn't really talk any more about it and she never gave any indication that she had even retained any of it.

Then last week she brought home a huge stack of papers and drawings she had done at school. She came and brought this to me, sheepishly. I was sitting on the couch with Noble when she placed it on my lap and then skipped away.

I couldn't believe my eyes.



And inside:



I don't know whether she was interested enough to retain all the names of the characters (sans Han and Chewie) because she was genuinely interested or of if she could sense that it was something important to me. I guess it doesn't matter, really.

Man, I love that kid.

No comments: