Monday, August 31, 2009

Disney to acquire Marvel for $4 billion in cash and stock


From MarketWatch:

"Walt Disney Co. said on Monday it has reached a deal to acquire comic book titan Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in stock and cash, in a move that underscores the company's desire to have strong box-office franchises with appeal to families."


I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm not really a Marvel guy, but I've always liked the raw grittyness of Marvel characters. I wonder if Disney will still let Wolverine be Wolverine and for the characters to have such dark aspects.

But my first thought when I read this was that Universal has a theme park built around Marvel characters just miles from Walt Disney World in Orlando. I wonder how that's going to shake out.

This doesn't feel like a natural fit.

No comments: