Tuesday, August 25, 2009

WTF, Apple?


This is the new box for Snow Leopard, the new OS update from Apple.

Seriously, Apple? Seriously?

You chose to put a freaking snow leopard - which no one ever even knew existed until you code named OS 10.6 that - on the front of the freaking box???!!? But yet you didn't put, you know, a leopard (or leopard print) on anything having to do with 10.5. People know what leopard spots look like. They know what leopards look like. Snow leopards? Not so much.

This decision had to have been made while Steve Jobs was on his sick leave earlier this year. Why does the box look like something that would have come out in 1992? Your cool promo graphics with the cool app icons arranged in a grid, reflected on a giant shiny X with the cool pink haze behind it. Cool. Iterative. Derivative of the previous packaging. Perfect for snow leopard, which itself is iterative and highly derivative of 10.5 Leopard. It's an update.

All I'm saying is that I'd better get some damn cool snow leopard desktop wallpaper included for free. You conveniently left it out of Leopard. It was good enough for Tiger and Jaguar (don't think I didn't notice that you skipped it in Panther, either...) but not good enough for Leopard. By the pattern you've got going, it seems that you use cat fur images in every other release. If it's not in there, well, I'm not going to call or anything. But I'm going to be really mean to my USB jump drive or something.

But back to the box... Whiskey tango foxtrot, Apple? You have better taste than this.

I'll bet the box alone is why it only costs $29. It's a hundred dollar discount for having to look at a damn snow leopard on the front of the box.

I went out on a limb for you, too. My PC-lovin' buddy Matt sent me the story about the box front when it was leaked last week. I ridiculed him, called him names (and his wife and kids) and told him he was stupid and mildly retarded for thinking something so lame could come from Apple in friggin' 2009. Then you went and did THIS!!!!???!

Damn, Apple, damn. I had my mouth open and everything...

No comments: