Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My morning on top of the world

This morning I woke up early - again - and decided to go ahead and get up and head up into the mountains. It would just be wrong to be in Denver and not climb a mountain, right?

So I got in the car and started driving.  Initially, the weather was really, really ugly and I thought the trip would be a bust.  But as I got higher up into the mountains the weather got better and better, so I kept on going.

My original destination was going to be Breckenridge, but I determined that there was no way I could make it there and look around and have enough time to get back for the first session at my conference. So I called an audible and found a road that looked promising and just took it.  Before I knew it, l was at Loveland Pass at the Continental Divide.  So i decided to get out and hike.

The air was still pretty cool and my ears and hands got cold pretty quickly. And I was really out of breath.  The sun was just starting to peek over the top of the mountain behind me, and soon it started to warm up.

So I kept climbing, stopping to take photos along the way.  It was an absolutely beautiful morning, and I kept wishing Kristi and the kids could share this with me.  So when I got to a little rise, I. Got a couple of bars on my phone, so I called them.  That made the experience.  Of course, the signal was weak, so we kept getting cut off.  

And I kept climbing.  Along the way, there were little streams of melted snow running down the mountain.  I cupped my hands and drank some, and it was cold and amazing.  Finally, after crossing through a patch of snow that was blocking the path, I reached the top of the ridge and saw more incredible snow-covered mountains on the other side.  It was breathtaking (or maybe it was the altitude).

I spent about twenty minute on top of the mountain looking around and taking pictures. I collected some rocks to take back to Kristi, which has been a tradition ever since we were dating. Then I headed back.

Along the way I kinda lost the trail and forged a little bit of my own.  But I was headed in the right direction, so I knew I'd be okay. Along the way, I happened to look up and saw something watching me from the top of a boulder.  It was small, about the size of a cat, and furry.  I was able to get pretty close before he moved.  And as I climbed up the hill toward the animal, I noticed another one, a little larger. They didn't seem to be too concerned with me, and actually let me get within a few feet. I think they were hoary marmuts, but I'll have to research that later. Anyway, from where I had climbed to, I could see that trail and that I wasn't on it.

As I headed back down toward the trail along a cliff, a cloud climbed up the side of the mountain and enveloped me. Kayci and i were just having a conversation the other day about what it would be like to be inside a cloud, so I made a little video for her with my phone.  I'll post that later if I remember.

Anyway, I headed back down to the car, hopped in and booked it back to Denver.  I got back just in time for my first session at 9:00. And I was a happy, happy James.

Here are a few of the photos I took:

No comments: