Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Be a rock star

The days that I love the most at work are the ones where I feel like a rock star. I may not have even done anything all that amazing ... to me. But I'm continually delighted that there are people who are amazed at the smallest things that I do and take for granted.

Like slapping a logo on the side of a vehicle in Photoshop and giving it some lovin' to make it look like it's actually on there. That's called a mock-up. And people around where I work go nuts for them.


There are other days when I've actually done something cool, and that makes me feel like a rock star, too. Like setting up and shooting a beauty shot of all of the company vehicles in front of the building:


Or when I get to integrate some cool photos I've taken with some design and printed on some really nice paper to form an annual report. Or a brochure that tells a story.

Or sometimes, it's just coming up with an idea so simple that it had been overlooked. For decades.

But more often than not, it's the days that I make myself happy because I did something that makes me laugh a little or that I think is cool. Or days when I learn something.

Like any magician (and that's really what I am - a digital magician), I love to amaze people. But the most gratifying times are when I amaze myself. It's cool when other people think you're a rock star. But actually thinking and feeling that about yourself sometimes is what makes the rest of the job fun.

No comments: